Today we’re launching a special page to store past and present predictions regarding future technology developments. At the moment all are in the area of augmented reality. Below is a list of new predictions; the complete list can be found on the new Predictions page. The page can also be accessed through its link in Think Artificial’s header-menu.
What do you predict? =)
Initial iPhone development and app popularity
- Prediction on August 28th, 2009: In October 2009 many developers are reported working on augmented reality apps for iPhone. This is partially due to the success of 5 wildly popular apps in the iPhone App Store.
Rise of serious augmented reality apps
- Prediction on August 28th, 2009: In January, 2010 interest in fluff (useless, silly) applications is declining. Much more powerful, serious AR apps are on the rise.
Major stores adopt augmented reality
- Prediction on August 28th, 2009: In January, 2010 the first major store announces mobile AR support; possibly an app that indicates product locations in shelves, or one that shows information about products. There are rumors of at least 3 other stores preparing a launch.
EDIT: The following two first appeared with dates, but were changed within an hour to mid/early/late -month notation (I’m not psychic! =)
Open-source augmented reality platform
- Prediction on August 28th, 2009: Mid April, 2010 an important open source AR platform standard is introduced.
Augmented reality eyewear & head mounted displays
- Prediction on August 28th, 2009: Early May, 2010 the first specs specifically designed for mainstream, mobile AR are announced. Use of eyewear-screens (head-mounted displays, AR glasses) increasingly popular among young and young adults.
- Correctly predicted: Augmented reality support in iPhone OS 3.1 Prediction: Apple releases initial support to iPhone augmented reality apps before September 15th, 2009. Actual: Announced 11 days after the...
- Augmented reality on iPhone delayed, but hardly prevented Recently there’s been an onrush of news and Web searches for augmented reality (AR), for the fist time surpassing interest...
- Augmented reality app running on iPhone With the the oncoming flood of powerful devices such as the iPhone, it’s almost certain that we’re about to make...
- Useful augmented reality tool shipped by US Postal Service The US Postal Service has begun using a pretty neat online augmented reality (AR) tool. Developed by AKQA/DC, the Virtual...
- Sony moves to augment reality with EyePet Sony's new game allows users to interact with a small monkey-like-thing onscreen. The system also enables you to draw items...