Prediction: Apple releases initial support to iPhone augmented reality apps before September 15th, 2009.
Actual: Announced 11 days after the prediction; Apple’s iPhone OS 3.1 supports augmented reality applications; expected release is in September (as predicted).
In my last entry on obstacles for augmented reality (AR) on the iPhone, I again expressed my conviction that Apple is planning on becoming a czar of AR. I upped the ante by venturing this prediction:
Before September 15th 2009 one of the following two events will occur:
- Apple releases initial support to iPhone augmented reality applications.
- Apple announces an extension to the the iPhone SDK, specifically intended for augmented reality app development.
[Posted on Jul 13, 2009]
Only eleven days after the prediction news began rushing in; among many others reporting, MacRumors said on July 24th 2009:
The L.A. Times reports that Apple will begin allowing developers access to the tools they need to produce augmented reality applications starting with upcoming iPhone OS 3.1. [So far, AR applications] have used unpublished APIs which prevent them from being allowed on the App Store. Apple, however, told one developer that the tools necessary would become available with iPhone 3.1. [MacRumors]
In short, Apple is releasing their initial support to augmented reality applications. The Los Angeles Times posted the article that broke news that Apple told developers of the Nearest Tube AR train finder (Acrossair) that augmented reality apps will be allowed in the iPhone App Store in September, as predicted… let’s see if it turns out to be September 15th
Stay tuned for more predictions.
- Augmented reality on iPhone delayed, but hardly prevented Recently there’s been an onrush of news and Web searches for augmented reality (AR), for the fist time surpassing interest...
- Augmented reality app running on iPhone With the the oncoming flood of powerful devices such as the iPhone, it’s almost certain that we’re about to make...
- Useful augmented reality tool shipped by US Postal Service The US Postal Service has begun using a pretty neat online augmented reality (AR) tool. Developed by AKQA/DC, the Virtual...
- Augmented reality games, but what’s reality doing there? Kweekies is a new augmented reality game that’s tuned to hit iPhones, Nokia Smartphones and Windows Mobile sometime this summer....
- Layar’s Augmented Reality Web for mobiles: finally layered information Finally. An augmented reality application of superb execution. Layar is a Google Android OS application and an iPhone 3G S...